Money Mark loves Good Vibes and mixing with the best

From Australian Associated Press:
February 16, 2007

Money Mark loves Good Vibes and mixing with the best
By Erin McWhirter, National Entertainment Writer

American producer/musician Mark Ramos-Nishita aka Money Mark, is happy mixing his time between high-profile musicians including the Beastie Boys, Yoko Ono, Gnarls Barkley, Jack Johnson and Australia's own John Butler.

In Australia playing keyboards for the Beastie Boys, who are touring with the Good Vibrations festival, Ramos-Nishita says experimenting with different bands for sounds, melodies and beats keeps his creativity flowing.

"I am always experimenting, which is always a risk, but in the word experiment there is the word 'risk' as well," he said in Sydney today.

While Ramos-Nishita has been touring the world with the Beastie Boys since the early 1990s, he has also established himself a successful solo career.

On March 3 his latest offering, Brand New By Tomorrow, will be released in Australia and is far removed from the usual hip-hop and rap beats of the Beastie Boys.

It's soulful and reflects a laid-back, mellow, Jack Johnson feel.

Ramos-Nishita said fans will appreciate the new tone, not shun it.

"This isn't your typical jump up and down and have fun record like I usually make," Ramos-Nishita said.

"My fan is really open-minded. I don't want to pigeon-hole my fan. I would like to think that they are open to many things."

Ramos-Nishita was last in Australia for the 2004 Big Day Out festival and said it was good to back for hip-hop fest Good Vibrations, with the Beastie Boys.

The group has already headlined the Gold Coast and Melbourne festivals and will play Sydney tomorrow and Perth on Sunday.

"I always have fun when I am on the road with these guys," Ramos-Nishita said.

"We've got a good thing happening on stage. Good Vibrations is a kind of party vibe, but I think all the festivals are like that.

"The kids go wild there."

While Ramos-Nishita works his music wizardry for concert-goers, he says he doesn't envy the audience.

"I would be exhausted, I would run out of energy, waiting in the sun all day," he said.

"But, I have quite a lot of energy on stage. I savour for that moment on stage and hopefully that works for them."

Most of Ramos-Nishita's work is underground, however his credits include musical scores for award-winning movie The Devil Wears Prada and Jim Carrey's 2005 comedy Fun With Dick and Jane.

A veteran of the music scene, Ramos-Nishita said the passion never dies.

"Keeping your mind open helps, maybe I am kind of wired that way," he said.

"That kindred side of me comes out and balances and combines my experiences. I don't feel like I am, I don't want to say the word - ageing - but I don't think I am going away anytime soon."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are rejected without review (i.e., trashed automatically). You must provide a name with your comment.